WARNING: Some contents of the files with the symbol are being redistributed so as to: (1) order them better, (2) avoid repetitions, (3) increase their usefulness (e.g. in different subjects), and (4) facilitate the maintenance. Contents will be ordered by field: Mathematics, Probability Theory, Statistical Inference and R code applied to Statistics. The main changes that will be applied to these documents are described below them. I try to minimise the number of slides, only those that are essential or order sections (and students’ minds) may be repeated.
Guide for Students: (≈ 1.5MB)
- Previous section ‘Doing Calculations in a Smart Way’ is being moved to Basic Tools of Mathematics.
- Previous section ‘Statistical Inference’ has been moved to Notes of Statistical Inference.
- Basic Tools of Mathematics:
- Contents on Probability and Statistics will be removed; some of them may be reused in the documents Notes of Probability Theory and Notes of Statistical Inference, respectively.
- Section on Combinatorics will be rewritten by using the slides in the mathematical appendix of Notes of Statistical Inference.
- It will include the mathematical remarks that are now in Solved Exercises and Problems of Statistical Inference, as well as section ‘Doing Calculations in a Smart Way’ in A Brief Guide for Students.
Notes of Probability Theory: (≈ 2.5MB)
- This file consists of the slides that were in the probabilistic appendix of Notes of Statistical Inference.
- Few new slides have been written.
Notes of Statistical Inference: (≈ 6.5MB)
- There is a new appendix with the slides that were in sections ‘Statistical Kitchen’ and ‘Further Readings’ of this document, and section ‘Statistical Inference’ of A Brief Guide for Students.
- Previous probabilistic appendix has been used to create the new file Notes of Probability Theory, while only the very basic slides are still in this appendix.
- Previous slides on Combinatorics, in the mathematical appendix, are being moved to Basic Tools of Mathematics.
- Solved Exercises and Problems of Statistical Inference: (≈ 3.5MB)
- The remarks on Probability, Statistics and Mathematics will be removed; some of them may be reused in the documents Notes of Probability Theory, Notes of Statistical Inference and Basic Tools of Mathematics, respectively.
- New exercises will be added to section ‘Additional Exercises’.
- New short “qualitative exercises” will be included, aimed at checking whether students have a basic understanding of the concepts beyond the “standardized ways of doing the calculations” (which, on the other hand, allows spending time and effort on the important ideas and applications).
- The index at the end of the document will be updated with links to the new exercises and questions.
R Code Applied to Statistics: (≈ 2.5MB)
- Explanations will be included for the most important or difficult simulation exercises.
- Little new code might be written.